Saturday, May 29, 2010

Paquito and the Cochin Saga...

Re-Introducing:  
Paquito!

 (Pictures to come later!)

See last year I went into chicken overload....  the chickens were destroying my garden,   I only had one pen,  
The first Turkey tom was regularly stomping my chickens to death...and the ducks to death.... 
I decided to weed down what I had and called one of my dearest friends that is also infected with Chickenbuyitis...  "Want a whole bunch of chickens?" said I?   
"Hell yes"  says she.....  and she takes flight to my house....
In a frenzy the like of only spur of the moment decision can be...
I stuffed half the 30 ish...something young chickens I had in her boxes... 
Buff Orphingtons,  Mixes, sultans, Duccle mixes,  and a couple of cochin roos....
half the ducks.... 

 I kept a blue cochin roo and a frizzle roo....
uh yeah...
guess what...
about the time my young cochin hens stared laying 
Both croaked

So my cochin hens have been penned mostly with a silkie roo.
whew...talk about some freaky little babies.
Especially the frizzled ones.
 Now I have 3 pens(4 counting the duck pen) and the "barn"
 I have a young little roo but hes not breeding age yet and all I wanted this year was
cochin babies....
Wait wait wait wait... and was getting impatient...
and I got by my dear sweet friends house and what do I see.
This studly little shiney black hottie named Paquito!
WHERE did you get THAT GUY I ask..

YUP.... 
I gave her that little hottie...
after much begging and pleading 
he is at my house 
"visiting some hot mammas!"
and hopefully here in a few weeks!
Cochin babies!

Plan is once Squeaky the baby roo is old enough... or I have a good set of babies..
Paquito will go home.. 
:-(


Now I really have to decide my focus.
Cochins for sure
Silkies 2nd
Amerucaunas (gotta have blue eggs!)

Butt the Buff Orphintons?
Currently all my big hens are running with my Americauna roo
The buff roos are in the "roo pen" with a little mutt roo
I have a batch of white leghorns due next week... to go with my 2 hens
What to do!
5 breeds... 3 pens...
The man wont let me sell off the ducks....
the turkeys will eventually need a pen when the babies are bigger...
Plus a friend brought me a dozen Rio Grande Turkey eggs...and 3 dozen guinea eggs.
Im pulling my hair out!  
I keep telling myself..  3 breeds  3 breed only!
BUT I WANT THEM ALL!

oh yea... I have a Production Red and a Black sexlink hen out there too....

*sigh*

I have to decide for sure by the end of the summer....
I am NOT keeping all 
Oh yeah.. there are the gold laced Wyandottes too.....  crap...





No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Welcome to my little corner of the world! I am the Wife, Momma, Animal caretaker, Gardener, I am always doing something: Canning, cooking, baking, gardening, chicken duck & turkey raising... After my day job I cram in a whole other life!

Stat Counter

Followers